Laney College offers a wide range of professional counseling services for enrolled students and prospective students. These services include:
- Providing students with a comprehensive assessment, including academic strengths and needs, to assist them with class selection.
- Helping students clarify their academic goals, select a major, and develop realistic academic workloads.
- Providing information on occupational and transfer programs, including general education and major course requirements.
- Helping students develop educational plans that satisfy graduation and transfer requirements.
- Assisting students in solving their academic problems such as academic/progress probation, dismissal and providing students with appropriate academic support systems.
- Providing students with tutorial and academic resources available on the Laney College campus.
- Offering orientation classes and workshops for new/ returning students and ESL students.
- Evaluating students college transcripts for graduation and transfer.
- Consulting with students regarding their rights and responsibilities.
- Assisting students with developing effective models for making career decisions and setting goals.
- Exploration of student interests, values and goals.
- Provide information on current and future employment trend.
- Teaching courses that emphasize career exploration about career options.
Educational Goal Setting
- Advising students to obtain an associates degree in a specific major.
- Advising students to obtain an associates degree while transferring to a four-year college.
- Advising students who plan to earn a vocational certificate in one of Laney Colleges various programs.
- Preparing students for majors/minors (assist.org) that are offered at the four-year colleges and universities.
- Teaching courses that emphasize strategies and study skills that lead to successful achievement of goals.
Personal Counseling and Referrals
- Assist students with problems that affect school performance.
- Refer to community psychological services for any ongoing or long-term personal counseling needs.
- Laney College provides athletic advising/counseling for approximately 150 men and women student-athletes who compete in seven intercollegiate sports.
- Advise student-athletes on course selection and requirements that meet NCAA and COA rules and regulations.
- Counseling staff participates in annual College Day program, which involves students from the various local high schools visiting the Laney College Campus for the first time.
- Counseling staff members visit the local high schools for recruitment and informational sessions about Laney College.