Electrical & Electronics Technology Home
Electrical & Electronics Technology (E/ET) programs are designed to provide a knowledge-base and practical skills necessary for students to succeed in many careers. Additionally, Laney College E/ET Department is “State Approved” for Electrician Trainee, “ET”Program # 172. State of California requires that all electricians to be licensed by the State, and this has been a long and ongoing goal of the department to get recognition by the State as a Trainee Site. In 2012 this new program was successfully launched.
A fundamental knowledge of electricity and electronics are part of what drives all technology of the 21st century. In particular, anyone desiring careers in telecommunications, electronics product development (including computers and micro-processor driven equipment), Bio-Science Technologies (including anyone using medical equipment), construction, manufacturing, engineering and transportation must consider one or more of these classes. These courses are necessary for anyone involved with facility or plant maintenance, Homeowners and consumers will find many of the courses useful to aid them in selection of consumer products and effecting general household repairs.
Below is the list of courses and programs currently offered in E/ET Department
- Associate of Science(AS) in Electrical & Electronics Technology
Certificate of Achievement
Electrician Trainee, “ET”
- Electrician Trainee program- Laney College is an authorized site by state of California to offer this training.
Title 24 & Advanced Lighting Controls
Advanced Lighting Controls, and new Title 24 requirements carried out by California Advanced Lighting Controls Training Program “CALCTP”, ATT (Acceptance Test Technician)
List of Courses
- Electronics I & II
- Advanced Lighting Controls
- Sound and Communication
- Basic Electricity
- Photovoltaic Systems
- Lighting Efficiency Technoloty
- Residential and Commercial Wiring
- Motors and Drives
- Electricity for HVAC Systems
- Applied Math
- CAL OSHA
- Direct Digital Controls “DDC”
- Fire and Security Alarm systems
- Customer Service for Trades
- NABCEP Exam Prep
- CALCTP-ATT (California Advanced Lighting Controls Training Program),
New Certificate Programs
E/ET Department will be launching the following certificate of proficiency programs in Fall 2015
- Electronics & Communication Technology
- Advanced Lighting Technology
- Power Electronics
We value the reputation of the department and the College as a high quality educational institution that is respected by the local community and industry.
EET 800- Electrical Department offers training in Advanced Lighting Controls;
50 hours CALCTP
10 hours System Course,
16 hours ATT( Acceptance Test Technician),
6 hours AT-Employer certification program
Effective July 1, 2014, the California Energy Commission adopted changes to the California building Efficiency Standards (Title 24, Parts 1 and 6) that require lighting controls and devices to be certified as properly installed and operational, prior to issuance of occupancy permits.
The CEC has established the following requirements:
- Have 3 years of verified professional experience in lighting controls and electrical systems;
- For non-state certified general electricians that want to become CALCTP-AT Technicians, the CALCTP Board has identified the following pre-requisites to ensure that they have the required knowledge to be successful in the program:
- Completed the 12 hours of required Lighting Control Association online modules.
- Completed and passed all 10 hours of the CALCTP Systems Course.
- Completed and Passed the CALCTP Codes and Standards Course
How to get certified
- Step 1- Complete and submit application to CALCTP:
firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 877-670-7910
- Step 2- Receive admission slip
- Step 3- Contact Laney College regarding training dates/times and any applicable fees
- Step 4- Complete course, receive certificate and be listed on CALCTP website