Student Equity Committee Home
LANEY COLLEGE STUDENT EQUITY
The Student Equity Committee’s mission is to ensure that equity funds and planning support equitable educational opportunities and student success for all, regardless of students’ race, gender, disability, or economic circumstances. The Student Equity Committee is committed to implementing and continuously improving a strategic, integrated plan to close achievement gaps. In accordance with the state chancellor’s office, student equity is defined as helping students achieve equal outcomes on success indicators as compared to either their own percentage in the community or college student body, or to other student groups.
- Promote a climate of inclusiveness, humility, equity, and appreciation for diversity in all aspects of the college.
- Use the RP Group’s Student Support (Re)defined “Six Success Factors That Support Student Achievement” (i.e., Directed, focused, nurtured, engaged, connected, and valued) as a frame for all planning, professional development, and activities around equity. (*See attachment)
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the Laney College Student Equity Plan to ensure that its budget, activities, and recommendations are in compliance with State goals, policies, and procedures.
- Facilitate the review, revision, and submission of the annual Student Equity Plan and budget to the shared governance bodies, College President, District and State.
- Ensure the active involvement of all groups on campus—including the Faculty Senate, Classified Senate, Associated Students of Laney College (ASLC), all faculty, administrators, staff, student services representatives, students, and community members in town hall meetings—in the development of the Student Equity Plan
- Coordinate with the following programs when developing activities to effectively meet the goals listed in the plan: Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS), Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS), Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE), California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWorks), Foundation Skills Committee (Basic Skills Initiative/BSI), programs for current and former foster youth (i.e., b2b Learning Community), student financial aid program representatives, and Veterans Affairs
- Ensure that Student Equity planning is linked to existing college plans and initiatives, including but not limited to accreditation, the Educational Master Plan, and the Student Success and Support Program (SSSP) Plan.
- Advocate for the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies and procedures to facilitate the success of our targeted student populations.
- Coordinate with the district Dean of Student Success and Equity to ensure integration of district-wide equity plans.
- Utilize research and best practices to ensure that appropriate professional development is provided for faculty, staff, and students to facilitate the success of our targeted student populations.
- Advise college shared governance groups on issues pertaining to student equity.
Student Equity Committee Membership
- Student Equity Coordinator (s)
- Equity Public Information Officer
- Three (3) classified staff representatives (including Financial Aid department and Veteran Affairs representatives)
- Administrative representative
- Three (3) student representatives
- Professional Development Chair (or representative)
- Vice President of Institutional Effectiveness and Research or College Researcher/ Research Consultant
- One (1) faculty liaison from the following core areas: Ethnic Studies, Counseling, English, Math, ESOL, CTE, and DSPS
The RP Group Six Success Factors
Click here to download the RP Group Six Success Factors poster.
Equity Committee Meeting Schedule
The first two Equity Committees meeting of Spring 2017 semester were Tuesday, February 28, 9:15 am -12 pm in T808 and Tuesday March 14, 9:15-11:15 am in T750.
For remainder of Spring 2017, the Equity Committee will meet on the second and fourth Thusdays of the month from 9:15 am – 11:15 am in Tower 750. All Equity Committee meetings are open to the campus community.
Dates of Equity Committee meetings for Spring 2017 are as follows:
- Thurs. Apr. 6
- Thurs. Apr. 27
- Thurs. May 11
- Thurs. May 25
Student Equity Plan Resources
Student Equity Committee Membership (2015-16)
Student Equity Powerpoint Jan 21, 2016, Professional Development Day Presentation