Resolutions & Amendments to the Constitution
Listed dates are the dates on which the resolutions were adopted (or amendments ratified) by the Laney Faculty Senate.
Resolutions & Amendments 2016–17
- March 7, 2017: Resolution — Role of the Academic Senate in Prioritization
- Resolved: That the Laney Faculty Senate objects to the arbitrary and capricious administrative usurpation of the faculty prioritization process, and
- Resolved: That the Laney Faculty Senate requests that all permanent faculty hiring be placed on hold (except for the Math position which was not contentious) until the new college president comes on board, and
- Resolved: That this resolution be shared immediately with the Laney College President, Chancellor and Board of Trustees of the Peralta Community College District.
- February 21, 2017: Resolution — Freedom of Speech
- Resolved: That Laney Faculty attended the forums and did prior research about the candidate, Dr. Anthony Tricoli, who questioned Tower reporting and claimed his character was defamed in the article entitled THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF LANEY COLLEGE?
- Resolved: That all information reported in the article was properly attributed from accurate sources, including statements from Dr. Tricoli himself, court documents and newspapers
- Resolved: That the article was carefully edited and approved and nothing was inaccurate or unsubstantiated
- Resolved: That the Laney Academic Senate unequivocally supports “unfettered” Freedom of Speech and Academic Freedom by The Laney Tower and the Journalism Department.
Resolutions & Amendments 2015–16
- May 3, 2016: Amendment — Article VII
In accordance with Article X Section A (The Amending Process), on April 5, 2016, a motion was made to amend Article VII.A.6 at the request of more than 15 members of the electorate. The proposal was ratified by more than 2/3 of the votes by secret ballot on May 3, 2016. The constitution was amended as follows: Hourly faculty shall elect
twofour representatives college-wide.
- April 19, 2016: Resolution — Support of AB 2009
Resolved: That the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges supports AB 2009 and other efforts to increase the success of undocumented students at California public institutions of higher education.
- March 1, 2016: Resolution — Mental Health Specialist
Resolved: That the Laney College Faculty Senate receive an additional position to support students’ mental health needs in accordance with the Budget Allocation Model based on the number of students we serve. We request a full-time Mental Health Specialist position be immediately approved so that Laney College is not left with a gap in urgently needed services for our students.
- November 24, 2015: Resolution — PASS Report
Resolved: That the Laney College Faculty Senate request that College President Webb and Vice President of Instruction Celhay make the PASS report originally requested by Dr. Gravenberg available to the Faculty Senate before its December 1st meeting.
- November 24, 2015: Resolution — SSSP and Equity
Resolved: That the Laney College Faculty Senate request an immediate meeting between the college president and a delegation of senators to review, in detail, the SSSP and Equity planning process, the SSSP and Equity funds, and SSSP and Equity expenditures.
- November 3, 2015: Resolution — Instructional Equipment and Library Materials
Resolved: That the Laney Faculty Senate recommends that, in accordance with the Budget Allocation Model, the Peralta Community College District allocate an additional $75,000 in funds for instructional equipment and library materials to Laney College in an effort to advance the goal of equity for the students of Laney College.
- October 20, 2015: Resolution — SSSP and Equity
Resolved: That the Laney College Faculty Senate request an immediate response (on or before Tuesday, October 27) from the President (not a designee) regarding:
- Justification of expenses/encumbrances to date, with explanation on how they align with the FY15 Equity and FY15 SSSP plans
- Details about if/how Laney can expend remaining funds in line with the FY15 Equity and FY15 SSSP plans by December 31, 2015
- Details about the planning process for FY16 Equity plan and funds, and details about the planning process for FY16 SSSP plan and funds
Resolved: That, without timely response and clarification on these matters, the Laney College Faculty Senate President, representing the Faculty Senate, will not sign reports to the State Chancellor’s Office.
- October 20, 2015: Resolution — Smart Classroom Assignment Process
Resolved: That the Laney College Faculty Senate urge the administration to work with the Senate to develop and institute a transparent process for requesting and assigning smart classrooms.
Resolutions & Amendments 2013–14
- February 18, 2014: Resolution — Representation on the PBC
Resolved: That the Laney Faculty Senate requests that the PCCD Planning and Budget Committee include two voting representatives from each college academic senate on the PCCD Planning and Budget Committee in alignment with the other three PCCD colleges.