Building Performance Institute (BPI) certification is the nationally recognized standard of excellence for Energy Efficiency. Laney College provides BPI certification in the following categories:
- Building Analyst
- Envelope Professional
- Multi-family Building Analyst
- Heating Professional Certification
- Air Conditioning/Heat Pump Professional Certification
BPI Building Analyst Training: Fall 2012
BPI Building Analyst certification is required to participate in Energy Efficiency retrofit programs in Sonoma, Berkeley, Alameda, San Francisco and other CA municipal programs as well as the new PG&E and other utility rebate programs. This class builds on the energy management and auditing content of ECT 28, 38 & 39 and prepares students for BPI Building Analyst certification.
The BPI Building Analyst certification course provides training in the theory and practice of the science of Building Performance. Individuals who successfully complete the lab and lecture content will take both the BPI Building Analyst written and field examinations. Labs include field training and practice using the Blower Door, Duct Blaster, combustion safety and other required test equipment. Significant practice identifying combustion appliance zones and creating worst case depressurization conditions is included.
Students will be taught by a certified BPI trainer and building performance industry professional.
Upon Completion Students will be able to:
- Explain basic terms & definitions of Building Science.
- Describe principles of Energy, Air, and Moisture.
- Describe the process of Combustion.
- Explain Building Components, Conservation Strategies, Design Considerations, Applied Diagnostics & Troubleshooting procedures.
- Apply BPI National Standards to the Comprehensive Building Assessment Process.
- Assess opportunities for energy saving by Appliance and Lighting changes.
- Practice professional conduct and communications with Homeowners and other professionals.
- Understand the importance of Health & Safety issues, including air quality, pollutants, MSDS sheets.
Course and Test Fees
Thanks to grant funding from Energy Upgrade California the course and testing fee is $200 which includes instruction, the text Residential Energy on loan, and test proctoring and test fees for each exam – written and field.
The Course Is Open To
- Contractors and their employees offering services in the energy efficiency sector
- Professionals in residential energy efficiency and solar photovoltaic industries
- Individuals interested in entering energy efficiency sector
- Course Dates and Times:
Sept. 3rd – Oct.26th, 2012
Mon, Wed, and Fri: 6pm to 9pm Sat: 9am to 5pm
- Course includes:
40 hours of class instruction
2-hour individual field test
- Course and Test Fees:
The course fee is $200 plus $52 registration fee(includes instruction, Residential Energy textbook on loan, test proctoring, and BPI test fees).
All interested applicants must complete an online application that can be found here
Refund Policy for Fees
The following guidelines have been established for refunds:
- If it is necessary for the college to cancel the class/activity due to minimum enrollment (15) not being met: FULL REFUND
- Notification of class/activity cancellations is the responsibility of the college: FULL REFUND
- If the class/activity has reached maximum enrollment or the student does not meet minimum qualifications, the registration request will be rejected: FULL REFUND
- If an enrollee withdraws and requests a refund prior to the start of the class/activity: FULL REFUND
- Once the class/activity starts: NO REFUND
Registration is not complete until fees and application have been received.
Click on the flyer below to download