Industrial Maintenance Home
If you are a new student and do not have an AS or BA/BS degree, you must take an assessment test to enroll in classes. Special EVENING hours for assessments for CTE students are also offered 7/22 and 8/6 from 6-8:30 PM. To schedule an evening assessment contact: MarkYamamoto: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CTE Counseling Orientation class also available 8/11 or 8/13 6-9 PM, location TBD. For details contact Mark Yamamoto.
Career Technical Education Students Only Assessment Schedule
8/6 6-8:30 PM
Other assessment time slots as follows:
|7/30 10AM-1PM||8/12 4 PM-7PM||8/19 10AM-1PM|
|8/6 10AM-1PM||8/14 12PM-3PM||8/21 12PM-3PM|
|8/8 9AM-12PM||8/15 10AM-1PM|
To find out more about the new SSSP enrollment process please go to the following link; Getting started: The Student Success Program at Laney College
Industrial Maintenance Open House on Tuesday 8/5 6:30PM-8:00PM
In the Machine Shop, G-100
Click here for more details
Interested students and counselors – sign up here to get more information
Laney College now offers a 9-month certificate program in industrial maintenance. This certificate will allow successful students to gain entry to a demanding and rewarding career in the field of industrial maintenance. This is a multi-disciplinary program that gives students hands-on training in machining, welding, electricity and blueprint reading. Math and English skills are taught in context to support student learning in these core subjects. This stackable certificate will prepare students for entry-level jobs in this industry or ready them for a second year certificate.
This is a full-time program from 8am-5pm Monday – Thursday. Fall classes start August 18, 2014 and end December 12, 2014. The spring 2015 term begins January 19 and ends May 22nd. Spring semester may include Saturday and/or evening classes.
Fall 2014 Courses
Machining, Welding, Electricity, Technical English and Math, College Success
Spring 2015 Courses
Machining, Welding, Commercial Electricity, Industrial Hydraulics, OSHA Safety, Blueprint Reading, Technical Math, Career Exploration
Industrial Maintenance Technicians maintain and repair the machinery used in such industries as oil refineries, manufacturing, water distribution and shipping. These industries anticipate a strong demand for technicians over the next decade. Internships/entry level jobs start at $32,000 per year. With 5 years of experience, average salaries in this field can be $50,000 per year with salaries increasing depending on the company and experience levels.
Who should apply?
The ideal candidate for this program should:
- Like to work with his/her hands
- Have a strong interest and ability in problem solving
- Be able to follow safety procedures
- Feel comfortable with math
- Read and write English fluently
How do I apply?
If you are interested in applying for the program, please follow the steps below:
1) Attend one of our two summer Open Houses: Tuesday May 6th 3-5PM and Thursday June 5th 4-5:30PM (Priority given to those attending an Open House).
2) Apply to the California Community College system to obtain a student ID number if you do not already have one. Fill out the CCC Apply online registration form.
You can retrieve your ID number within 24 hours of filling out the form. If you need assistance with the college application or to retrieve your ID, you can come to the Welcome Center in A101 on the Laney Campus and someone there will assist you.
3) If you have decided you are committed to applying for this full-time 9 month program, fill out an online application for the Industrial Maintenance Program
Paper forms can be mailed to:
Industrial Maintenance Program
Career & Technical Education
900 Fallon Street
Oakland CA 94607
4) Take the Laney College Assessment Test (if you have already taken this test, you do not need to take it again). To take the test, you must go in person to the Welcome Center at A-101 on Laney Campus to schedule an appointment for the test. Please arrange to complete the test ASAP.
For sample test questions and test-taking tips, go to the Compass Assessment website.
5) At this point you will be contacted and arrangements will be made for an interview. If at any point you have questions about the process or the program, please email us at LaneyIndustrialMaintenance@gmail.com
High School or Career Counselors
If you are interested in receiving updates on this program, please complete the APPLY HERE