Industrial Maintenance Home
July 19th 6:30-8 pm
August 3rd 6:30-8 pm
Attention, courses starting in Fall 2016:
Interested students and counselors – sign up here to get more information
Laney College now offers a 9-month certificate program in industrial maintenance. This certificate will allow successful students to gain entry to a demanding and rewarding career in the field of industrial maintenance. This is a multi-disciplinary program that gives students hands-on training in machining, welding, electricity and blueprint reading. Math and English skills are taught in context to support student learning in these core subjects. This stackable certificate will prepare students for entry-level jobs in this industry or ready them for a second year certificate.
This is a full-time program from 8am-5pm Monday – Thursday. Program starts August 2016 and ends mid December 2016. The spring 2017 term begins January 19 and ends late May 2017. Spring semester may include Saturday and/or evening classes.
Fall 2016 Courses
Machining, Welding, Electricity, Applied Spatial Reasoning and Technical Math
Spring 2016 Courses
Machining, Welding, Commercial Electricity, Industrial Hydraulics, OSHA Safety, Blueprint Reading and Technical Math
Industrial Maintenance Technicians maintain and repair the machinery used in such industries as oil refineries, manufacturing, water distribution and shipping. These industries anticipate a strong demand for technicians over the next decade. Internships/entry level jobs start at $32,000 per year. With 5 years of experience, average salaries in this field can be $50,000 per year with salaries increasing depending on the company and experience levels.
Who should apply?
The ideal candidate for this program should:
- Like to work with his/her hands
- Have a strong interest and ability in problem solving
- Be able to follow safety procedures
- Feel comfortable with math
- Read and write English fluently
How do I apply?
If you are interested in applying for the program, please follow the steps below:
1)Attend one of our Open Houses
2) Apply to the California Community College system to obtain a student ID number if you do not already have one. Fill out the CCC Apply online registration form.
You can retrieve your ID number within 24 hours of filling out the form. If you need assistance with the college application or to retrieve your ID, you can come to the Welcome Center in A101 on the Laney Campus and someone there will assist you.
3) If you have decided you are committed to applying for this full-time 9 month program, fill out an online application for the Industrial Maintenance Program
Paper forms can be mailed to:
Industrial Maintenance Program
Career & Technical Education
900 Fallon Street
Oakland CA 94607
4) Take the Laney College Assessment Test (if you have already taken this test, you do not need to take it again). To take the test, you must go in person to the Welcome Center at A-101 on Laney Campus to schedule an appointment for the test. Please arrange to complete the test ASAP.
For sample test questions and test-taking tips, go to the Compass Assessment website.
5) At this point you will be contacted and arrangements will be made for an interview. If at any point you have questions about the process or the program, please email us at LaneyIndustrialMaintenance@gmail.com
High School or Career Counselors
If you are interested in receiving updates on this program, please complete the APPLY HERE